As per directive of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in SLP No. 24295 of 2006 dated 16.05.2007 and in Civil
Appeal number 887 of 2009 dated 08.05.2009, F. No. 37-3/Legal/AICTE/2009 and subsequent Notification dated 01.07.2009 on the subject: Prevention and Prohibition of ragging in technical Institutions, Universities including Deemed to be Universities imparting technical education.)
BIMS has a zero tolerance to any kind of ragging in Campus and which is ensured through closed monitoring by anti-ragging committee and squad as well as through undertakings from students and parents this conforms to the as per guidelines of AICTE as well.
WHAT CONSTITUTES RAGGING
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts :
1. Any conduct by any students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student ;
2. Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student ;
3. Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student ;
4. Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher ;
5. Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students ;
6. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students ;
7. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it : sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing, obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person ;
8. Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, posts, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student ;
9. Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority
by a student over any fresher or any other student.
PUNISHMENT FOR RAGGING
Anti Ragging Squad of the Institute will take expedite action against the students indulging any form of ragging ( as constituted and stated herein above).
The Government of West Bengal has enacted Anti Ragging Law, “West Bengal Prohibition of
Ragging in Educational Institutions Act 2000” to prevent ragging at the Educational Institution.
Further, the Government has directed all Heads of educational institution of the State to form Anti Ragging Committee to implement strictly and punish the students indulging in ragging activities stringently as per the provision of the law.
The Supreme Court in its order, dated the 16th May 2007, has ordered a crackdown on ragging on campuses across the country. The court made it compulsory for Colleges and other educational institutions to register FIRs and said exemplary punishment should be awarded to offenders, so that it acts as deterrent.
In pursuance of the above orders and directives, an Anti-Ragging Committee has been reconstituted as per AICTE norms for the academic year 2014–2015 with the following members:
|Sl.||Name||Designation||Status in Anti-ragging||Contact No.||Committee Members|
|1.||Dr. R K Patra||Principal||Chairperson||8336068578||Committee Members|
|2.||Dr.Sujit Mukherjee||Associate Dean of Member||Chairperson||8336068578||Committee Members|
|3.||Sri Amitava Guha||Associate Professor||Chairperson||8584822744||Member|
|4.||Sri A C Majumder||Assistant Professor||Member||858486767||BIMS|
|5.||Supratik Sinha||Student Representative||BIMS Member||9804194647||BIMS|
|6.||Dr. Pankaj Kumar Sinha||Parent Representative||Member||2622-1216||Father of Supratik Sinha|
|7.||Sri Debasish Sengupta||Administrative Officer||Member||8584822753||BIMS|
|8.||Local Police Station Officer||In charge Member 2335-||Representative Bidhan Nagar||1047/2046||PS(south)|